Timeline

Take a walk down SCC's Memory Lane and learn about our most significant milestones.

1900

Burlington Junior College (BJC) Established at Burlington High in 1920

BJC opens in a classroom in the Apollo High School building in Burlington. A total of 44 students enroll. BJC Men’s Blackhawk Basketball Program Established

BJC Becomes Accredited in 1929

BJC receives its first accreditation from the Committee on Admissions from Higher Institutions located at the University of Illinois.

Keokuk Community College (KCC) Established in 1953

KCC opens its doors to the first class of students. It is located at Keokuk High School.

KCC Addition Built at Keokuk High School in 1962

KCC gets its first dedicated facility on Keokuk High School property.

SCC Men’s Blackhawk Basketball Team Wins 2nd Place at NJCAA Tournament in 1965

Mr. Carlton W. Callison serves as SCC President

Mr Carlton “Cal” Callison Named SCC president. Mr. Callison served from 1968-1986.

SCC moves to West Burlington in 1971-72

SCC builds and opens first building (present-day Callison Hall) along with six mobile units in West Burlington, vacating the old Saunderson School building.

CCFSA Created, Fair Grounds and Gymnasium Open in 1977

The County College Fair Service Agency is created. The new entity builds the Des Moines County Fair Grounds, including the Agri-Stock Arena and the Agri-Sports Gymnasium for shared ownership and use among entities.

Winegard and Witte student residence halls open in 1989

Two residence halls open on the West Burlington campus. They are funded by a capital campaign.

Clifford Lloyd Yohe Donates $1 Million to the SCC Foundation in 1991

SCC Receives $1 Million From Alum and Founder of the Modern K-Mart, Clifford Lloyd Yohe 1923 BJC Alumnus Clifford Lloyd Yohe, founder of K-Mart, donates $1 million to recently-created SCC Foundation. Monies go to fund a number of scholarships in his name.

Dr. Daniel J. Phelan Named SCC President in 1997

Dr. Phelan served as SCC President from 1997-2001.

Mount Pleasant Center Opens in 1999

SCC opens a learning center in Mount Pleasant, offering adult education, continuing education, and credit classes to local residents.

Mr. James C. Richardson Named SCC President in 2001

Mr. Richardson serves as SCC President from 2001-2005

Dr. Beverly S. Simone Named SCC President in 2005

Dr. Simone serves as SCC President from 2005-2012.

Welding Technology Building Opens on West Burlington Campus in 2008

SCC’s welding lab is an approved Accredited Testing Facility through the American Welding Society.

Dr. Michael L. Ash Named SCC President in 2012

Dr. Ash continues to serve as SCC’s President.

Lawrence & Marilyn Matteson Make a $3.5 Million Donation to SCC in 2015

Retired local businessman Lawrence Matteson and his wife Marilyn present a $3.5 million gift to SCC’s Building the Dream campaign. It is one of the largest gifts to a community college in the state of Iowa. The funds go toward the College’s Matteson Health and Science Complex on the West Burlington campus.

Industrial Technology Trading Center in 2017

The Industrial Technology Training Center Opens on the Keokuk Campus in 2017

The Industrial Technology Training Center opens in Keokuk. The facility features spacious modern electrical and mechanical training labs to support the College’s Industrial Maintenance Technology program. Blackhawk Tower Opens on the West Burlington Campus Built and operated in partnership with local developers, Blackhawk Tower, a four-story residence hall, opens on the West Burlington campus. The […]

SCC Goes Green With Completion of 2-acre Solar Field on the Keokuk Campus in 2019

After installing over 200 solar panels on the roof of the Industrial Technology Training Center in 2018, the College installs another 1000 solar panels in a field adjacent to the Keokuk campus. The total output is enough to power the campus and the neighboring St. Vincent’s Elementary School, the project partner.

Inaugural Class Graduates From Burlington Junior College in 1922

The first class of 12 students graduate from Burlington Junior College.

Dr. Rev. William Smith is SCC’s First Black Graduate in 1931

Dr. Reverend William Amos “Booker” Smith, Sr. excelled scholastically, earning a scholarship first to Burlington Junior College, then to Drake University.

He became Burlington’s first black ordained minister in 1934 before serving in WWII.

After earning his PhD at Temple University in Philadelphia, he spent time working as a minister alongside Dr. Martin Luther King.

He spent his academic career at a number of colleges and universities and found himself at a junior college before retiring.

BJC Moves to Saunderson School, Changes Name to Burlington Community College (BCC) in 1961

Boosted in part by returning veterans utilizing their GI Bill to go to college, BCC outgrows its space in Apollo High School and moves to the recently-vacated Saunderson Elementary School across the street thanks to a $100,000 donation to from John H. Witte, Jr. to pay for renovations.

Legislation Passes Establishing Iowa’s Community Colleges in 1965-66

Community colleges across the state of Iowa are organized into 15 districts. Burlington Community College and Keokuk Community Colleges merge to become Southeastern Community College. Career education programs are added.

SCC enrollment surpasses 1,000 in 1967

SCC began vocational instruction at Iowa State Penitentiary

In 1970, SCC began providing vocational instruction to inmates at the Iowa State Penitentiary in Fort Madison. It will later offer instruction in the Mount Pleasant Correctional Facility as well.

SCC moves to Messenger Road in 1975

SCC purchases ground and moves its Keokuk campus to Messenger Road, vacating its facility on the Keokuk High School property. The new campus consists of five mobile units.

Dr. R. Gene Gardner Named SCC President in 1986

Dr. Gardner serves as SCC President from 1986-1996.

Emeritus Hall Constructed on the Keokuk Campus in 1990

Emeritus Hall is the first of five permanent buildings open on the Keokuk campus. The new buildings eventually replace the original mobile units.

Trustee Hall Opens on West Burlington Campus in 1991

The facility houses all new science labs, classrooms, offices, and a TV studio.

Southeastern Community College Alumni Association Established

Fort Madison Center Opens in 1998

SCC opens a learning center in Fort Madison, offering adult education, continuing education, and credit classes to local residents.

SCC Men’s Blackhawk Basketball Team Wins Three NJCAA National Championships in 2000, 2003, 2004

Under the direction of Coach Joe O’Brien, the Blackhawks win three national championships in five years. Blackhawk Basketball continues its tradition of being the winningest men’s basketball program in the nation.

SCC Women’s Blackhawk Softball Team Wins National Championship in 2003

SCC Women’s Blackhawk Softball Team Wins NJCAA Division II National Championship

Trades Building Opens on the West Burlington Campus in 2007

Construction trades building opens on West Burlington campus.

Animation and Graphics Communications Building Opens on West Burlington Campus in 2011

SCC is one of select colleges in the country to offer these programs.

SCC Regional Emergency Response Training Center Opens in Fort Madison in 2011

SCC’s Regional Emergency Response Training Center opens in Fort Madison. It provides specialized training for first responders.

Great River Health Systems Health Professions Center Opens in 2016

The Great River Health Systems Health Professions Center opens on the West Burlington campus. The facility features state-of-the-art teaching and learning technology for the College’s health programs.

The John H. Witte, Jr. Hall of Sciences Opens on West Burlington Campus in 2018

Thanks to a $1 million donation from the Witte Foundation, the John H. Witte, Jr. Hall of Sciences opens on the West Burlington campus. The facility features state-of-the-art biology, chemistry, and physics labs, and a 3D training simulator room.

The Matteson Health & Science Complex is Completed

With the opening of the skywalk between the Great River Health Systems Health Professions Center and the John H. Witte, Jr. Hall of Science, the Matteson Health & Science Complex is completed.

Burlington Junior College (BJC) Established at Burlington High in 1920

BJC opens in a classroom in the Apollo High School building in Burlington. A total of 44 students enroll.

BJC Men’s Blackhawk Basketball Program Established


Inaugural Class Graduates From Burlington Junior College in 1922

The first class of 12 students graduate from Burlington Junior College.

BJC Becomes Accredited in 1929

BJC receives its first accreditation from the Committee on Admissions from
Higher Institutions located at the University of Illinois.

Dr. Rev. William Smith is SCC’s First Black Graduate in 1931

Dr. Reverend William Amos “Booker” Smith, Sr. excelled scholastically, earning a scholarship first to Burlington Junior College, then to Drake University.

He became Burlington’s first black ordained minister in 1934 before serving in WWII.

After earning his PhD at Temple University in Philadelphia, he spent time working as a minister alongside Dr. Martin Luther King.

He spent his academic career at a number of colleges and universities and found himself at a junior college before retiring.

Keokuk Community College (KCC) Established in 1953

KCC opens its doors to the first class of students. It is located at Keokuk High
School.

BJC Moves to Saunderson School, Changes Name to Burlington Community College (BCC) in 1961

Boosted in part by returning veterans utilizing their GI Bill to go to college, BCC outgrows its space in Apollo High School and moves to the recently-vacated Saunderson Elementary School across the street thanks to a $100,000 donation to from John H. Witte, Jr. to pay for renovations.

KCC Addition Built at Keokuk High School in 1962

KCC gets its first dedicated facility on Keokuk High School property.

Legislation Passes Establishing Iowa’s Community Colleges in 1965-66

Community colleges across the state of Iowa are organized into 15 districts. Burlington Community College and Keokuk Community Colleges merge to become Southeastern Community College. Career education programs are added.

SCC Men’s Blackhawk Basketball Team Wins 2nd Place at NJCAA Tournament in 1965

SCC enrollment surpasses 1,000 in 1967

Mr. Carlton W. Callison serves as SCC President

Mr Carlton “Cal” Callison Named SCC president.

Mr. Callison served from 1968-1986.

SCC began vocational instruction at Iowa State Penitentiary

In 1970, SCC began providing vocational instruction to inmates at the Iowa State Penitentiary in Fort Madison. It will later offer instruction in the Mount Pleasant Correctional Facility as well.

SCC moves to West Burlington in 1971-72

SCC builds and opens first building (present-day Callison Hall) along with six mobile units in West Burlington, vacating the old Saunderson School building.

SCC moves to Messenger Road in 1975

SCC purchases ground and moves its Keokuk campus to Messenger Road, vacating its facility on the Keokuk High School property. The new campus consists of five mobile units.

CCFSA Created, Fair Grounds and Gymnasium Open in 1977

The County College Fair Service Agency is created. The new entity builds the Des Moines County Fair Grounds, including the Agri-Stock Arena and the Agri-Sports Gymnasium for shared ownership and use among entities.

Dr. R. Gene Gardner Named SCC President in 1986

Dr. Gardner serves as SCC President from 1986-1996.

Winegard and Witte student residence halls open in 1989

Two residence halls open on the West Burlington campus. They are funded by a capital campaign.

Emeritus Hall Constructed on the Keokuk Campus in 1990

Emeritus Hall is the first of five permanent buildings open on the Keokuk campus. The new buildings eventually replace the original mobile units.

Clifford Lloyd Yohe Donates $1 Million to the SCC Foundation in 1991

SCC Receives $1 Million From Alum and Founder of the Modern K-Mart, Clifford Lloyd Yohe

1923 BJC Alumnus Clifford Lloyd Yohe, founder of K-Mart, donates $1 million to recently-created SCC Foundation. Monies go to fund a number of scholarships in his name.

Trustee Hall Opens on West Burlington Campus in 1991

The facility houses all new science labs, classrooms, offices, and a TV studio.

Southeastern Community College Alumni Association Established

Dr. Daniel J. Phelan Named SCC President in 1997

Dr. Phelan served as SCC President from 1997-2001.

Fort Madison Center Opens in 1998

SCC opens a learning center in Fort Madison, offering adult education, continuing education, and credit classes to local residents.

Mount Pleasant Center Opens in 1999

SCC opens a learning center in Mount Pleasant, offering adult education, continuing education, and credit classes to local residents.

SCC Men’s Blackhawk Basketball Team Wins Three NJCAA National Championships in 2000, 2003, 2004

Under the direction of Coach Joe O’Brien, the Blackhawks win three national championships in five years. Blackhawk Basketball continues its tradition of being the winningest men’s basketball program in the nation.

Mr. James C. Richardson Named SCC President in 2001

Mr. Richardson serves as SCC President from 2001-2005

SCC Women’s Blackhawk Softball Team Wins National Championship in 2003

SCC Women’s Blackhawk Softball Team Wins NJCAA Division II National Championship

Dr. Beverly S. Simone Named SCC President in 2005

Dr. Simone serves as SCC President from 2005-2012.

Trades Building Opens on the West Burlington Campus in 2007

Construction trades building opens on West Burlington campus.

Welding Technology Building Opens on West Burlington Campus in 2008

SCC’s welding lab is an approved Accredited Testing Facility through the American Welding Society.

Animation and Graphics Communications Building Opens on West Burlington Campus in 2011

SCC is one of select colleges in the country to offer these programs.

Dr. Michael L. Ash Named SCC President in 2012

Dr. Ash continues to serve as SCC’s President.

SCC Regional Emergency Response Training Center Opens in Fort Madison in 2011

SCC’s Regional Emergency Response Training Center opens in Fort Madison. It provides specialized training for first responders.

Lawrence & Marilyn Matteson Make a $3.5 Million Donation to SCC in 2015

Retired local businessman Lawrence Matteson and his wife Marilyn present a $3.5 million gift to SCC’s Building the Dream campaign. It is one of the largest gifts to a community college in the state of Iowa. The funds go toward the College’s Matteson Health and Science Complex on the West Burlington campus.

Great River Health Systems Health Professions Center Opens in 2016

The Great River Health Systems Health Professions Center opens on the West Burlington campus. The facility features state-of-the-art teaching and learning technology for the College’s health programs.

Industrial Technology Trading Center in 2017

The Industrial Technology Training Center Opens on the Keokuk Campus in 2017

The Industrial Technology Training Center opens in Keokuk. The facility features spacious modern electrical and mechanical training labs to support the College’s Industrial Maintenance Technology program.

Blackhawk Tower Opens on the West Burlington Campus

Built and operated in partnership with local developers, Blackhawk Tower, a four-story residence hall, opens on the West Burlington campus. The facility can house up to 126 students and staff.

The John H. Witte, Jr. Hall of Sciences Opens on West Burlington Campus in 2018

Thanks to a $1 million donation from the Witte Foundation, the John H. Witte, Jr. Hall of Sciences opens on the West Burlington campus. The facility features state-of-the-art biology, chemistry, and physics labs, and a 3D training simulator room.

The Matteson Health & Science Complex is Completed

With the opening of the skywalk between the Great River Health Systems Health Professions Center and the John H. Witte, Jr. Hall of Science, the Matteson Health & Science Complex is completed.

SCC Goes Green With Completion of 2-acre Solar Field on the Keokuk Campus in 2019

After installing over 200 solar panels on the roof of the Industrial Technology Training Center in 2018, the College installs another 1000 solar panels in a field adjacent to the Keokuk campus. The total output is enough to power the campus and the neighboring St. Vincent’s Elementary School, the project partner.

Stay Connected

[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]

Got a Story to Share?



West BurlingtonBurlingtonKeokukFort MadisonMount Pleasant

I have photos, video or momento I'd like to share with SCC.
Would you like to be contacted by SCC to share more of your story?